I was first introduced to this wonderful dish by my cousin’s wife at a thai restaurant. Wow it tasted so wonderful especially with their signature pad thai dish. I never knew there existed a vegetarian version of this dish ( i mean without the fish sauce and other stuff u know) plus low calroie too !
Tried this dish at home on a sunday afternoon and since then it has become a standard signature dish at home. Best of all, it requires just about 30 mins total time and it is DONE ! So this sunday afternoon, go on experiment a little in your kitchen with this wonderful and easy low calorie dish that goes very well with naans, rotis or plain white rice and surprise your family making them happy.
Here goes the recipe.
1) Broccoli Florets – 1 cup
2) Mushrooms – 5- 6 (sliced)
3) Baby corns – 6 (slit lengthwise)
4) Brinjal – 1 medium sized (peeled and diced)
5) Bamboo shoots (optional)
Red Curry Paste:
1) 5 Kashmiri Chillies / Chilly Padi – Soaked in warm water for 10 mins
2) half onion – chopped
3) 6-8 flakes of garlic, 1 stalk of lemon grass, 2″ piece ginger – sliced
4) 3 stalks of coriander
5) 1 tsp cumin (jeera seeds) , 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp Vinegar.
1) 3 Cups of coconut milk ( I diluted 1 small carton of thick coconut milk in water)
2) 2 Tsp Light soya sauce (IF you have regular use 1 tsp)
3) a handful of basil leaves chopped (substitute with coriander if you dont have)
4) salt to taste
5) 1 tsp brown sugar
1) Grind all the ingredients of the thai red curry to a fine paste in the food processor, using the warm water that chillies wear soaked into.
2) Get the coconut milk ready (either extracting 3 cups of coconut milk from freshly grated coconut soaked in warm water or diluting 1 small carton (200 ml) coconut milk in warm water).
3) Add the red curry paste onto a non-sticky pan and fry for a few seconds on low heat.
4) Add 1 cup of coconut milk. Add the vegetables and let it cook for 3-5 mins.
5) Add the rest of coconut milk, soya sauce and basil leaves.
6) Cover and simmer for 10 mins or until the veggies turn tender.
7) Finally add salt and sugar to taste. Boil for a 1 minute.
8) Serve hot with steamed white rice or noodles.
BON APPETIT !