Vegan Bread Pudding:
This post comes after a long long gap at Dipsilicious. I am so sorry my friends that I haven’t been able to engage you well in my blog, as I was busy with a work assignment. However its over and I am back and back with a BANG!
So at the end of my work assignment I finally bought myself an OTG !!! Yea can you believe that I had been ogling a lot of those lovely people who would bake anything and everything so perfectly delicious looking for a whole year before I was able to buy the OTG, its like a dream come true for me. A lot of groundwork went in before I bought this lovely TEFAL 30 litres and I must say I am super impressed happy and begun my baking journey. I will write shortly about my 1 year digging up of info of Ovens post soon.
So it was valentine’s day and I am not a stud in cakes or puddings but DD2(my hubby) is a big time fan of bread pudding and it was his wish that I bake bread pudding without eggs ? yes and I made it dairy free as well.. Its quite not the usual that you are served vegan bread pudding however to add the element of love I added strawberries and chopped hershey kisses chocolate..
So here’s my version of the recipe , its adapted from Tarla dalal’s recipe.
6) If you dont want it to be vegan then use 2 cups regular milk and 1 Tsp vanilla essence.
7) 1/2 Cup fresh strawberries sliced
8) 1/2 cup nuts of your choice (I added raisins, walnuts and choco chips)
9) 1 Tbsp brown sugar
10) 2 pinches nutmeg powder
- Place rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F(180°C).
- Take 4 Tbsp butter and brush onto one side of each of the bread slices. Set the bread, buttered- side- up, on a large baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Place strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle them with 2 Tablespoons of the sugar. Toss and set aside
- Combine the custard powder and sugar along with ¼ cup of warm rice milk in a deep bowl and mix well till the sugar melts. Keep aside.
- Boil the remaining 2 cups of rice milk on a slow flame and gradually add the custard powder-sugar mixture, while stirring continuously so that no lumps remain.
- Mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes or till the sauce thickens and becomes smooth, while stirring continuously. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- When the bread is toasted, reduce oven temp. to 325°F(160°C). and set a large roasting pan half-filled with hot water on the middle rack to act as a water bath. Trim the crusts off the bread and cut each slice of bread into cubes.
- Use 1 Tbsp melted butter to grease 200 mm. (8′) diameter oven-proof glass dish and Arrange the bread cubes with the roasted side facing up.
- Sprinkle fresh strawberries and chopped nuts on the bread cubes and pour the sauce evenly over them.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on top and pour 1/2 Tbsp melted butter evenly over it.
- Place the dish in the roasting pan in the oven and Bake at 160°c (325°f) for 35 – 40 minutes or until the custard is just set.
- Remove from water bath.
- Serve hot garnished with nutmeg powder.
- Since the pudding is served in the same dish in which it is baked, use a glass dish and not an aluminium baking dish.